Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Jinan city river

Dear Peanut Gallery, I am staying up a little longer to blog for you. In reality, I know that I will never blog about this stuff if I don't get it done now, so I am making myself do it despite exhaustion. It's also nice to have some coherent thinking time while all is quiet.

Jinan has some beautiful places to walk around, and yesterday we went out with Missy to see the local river that surrounds the old part of the city. I have found I love the Chinese aesthetic, especially in the parks. We have the privilege of being here in such a lovely season. Not too hot, but everything has begun to bloom. The willow is the city tree of Jinan. They are all throughout the river walk.

June is enjoying being an only child for the time being, I think. Having the full attention of two grown ups is not something that she is used to! I hope it will ultimately speed the bonding process.

We are pretty lucky. June gives us a LOT of kisses. Sweet girlie.

Today when Andrew was gone, baby girl did quite a bit of crying. It was the first real crying she has done. It was usually about things that she didn't want to do (take a nap, or quit playing a game) but there was a quality of deep sadness about it. I'm sure the reality of it all is setting in for her. This is such an immense amount of change for her. She has gone from orphanage life, smells, food, and friends to fancy hotel life with strange-smelling people and food and parents who can't understand anything she is talking about. (except for the word Ayi, or auntie, which she is used to calling all the women in her life, but now she calls me this name. and we correct her about 700 times a day to help her start to grasp that she now has a permanent woman in her life, day and night)

Pray for June Ya-ya, for her little heart to begin to trust and flourish in our family. And pray for us, that we would have wisdom how to parent in a way that fosters rather than harming the attachment (both on our side and hers). Thank you for coming along on this journey with us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment