Thursday, March 6, 2014

Worth the Fight


Today I have gone all rogue mama-lion. This week we are facing an abnormal and stupid delay in an area that has never caused this kind of problem for any other families I know of. (And I know of hundreds of families who have gone through this process.) My agency has never experienced a delay like this while waiting for Consulate Appointment to be confirmed. I will be calling the consulate tonight because we should have gotten our date days ago.

I would like to take this opportunity to say that every bizarre delay we've had- ones that were during what was supposed to be the easy, no-brainer part of the process- they don't faze me. They don't change my mind about proceeding. Why?

JUNE IS WORTH THE FIGHT. She is worth every phone call, every lost hour of sleep, every day where my heart has dropped to the pit of my stomach, and every dollar spent to pay for adoption fees and Fed Ex shipments. She is precious, she is valuable, she is beautiful and formed in the image of God. I just wanted to take the opportunity to make this clear today.

All over the world, children with Down Syndrome and other special needs are considered less valuable, empty, incapable. This is a LIE. Children with Down Syndrome have beauty to offer the world. Just like every child does. I would even say that they have an extra special beauty and perspective that comes with their extra chromosome. It is a perspective on life that those of us lacking the extra chromosome need desperately!! But in the US, 9 out of 10 of these children are aborted. Their lives snuffed out before they even had the opportunity to bring their unique gifts into the world to share. This is wrong, it's vile and it makes me even more determined to advocate to get June home and make it clear I thought she was worth the blood, sweat and tears.

Add to the beauty, friends, and live your life in such a way that others have the opportunity to add their own beauty, too.


No comments:

Post a Comment